Fictional Women Who Inspire Me

{ B l o g m a s :: day six }

Whenever I'm having a particularly hard time I tend to run head first into my favourite fictional worlds for a lil bit of escapism, but also for inspiration. I love that by reading or watching a story, you can see not only the problem but the cause, struggles and resolution. I find comfort in seeing exactly how a character has overcome something and how their life carries on afterwards. Today I thought I'd share with you a few of my favourite fictional women and the ways they inspire me. (Lil warning: this post will contain spoilers.)

Katniss Everdeen.
I recently watched Mockingjay Part Two and promptly burst into tears at the sight of Katniss with her children. Both my sister and Luke were thoroughly alarmed but I explained between sobs that I was just so overwhelmed and happy to see Katniss happy. She struggles so much through-out the entire trilogy and following the final few chapters on the war she falls into such a state of depression and anger and sadness and omgijustcant. She's loud and angry and maybe even a little bit cocky at times but I adore her and her will to survive. If there's one fictional character I love most it's Katniss.

Hermione Granger.
Tell me one fellow bookworm that didn't idolise Hermione whilst growing up. Hermione is clever, opinionated, passionate and bossy and I think she's fabulous. Aside from her intelligence I also admire her for her little book-exclusive project S.P.E.W. Yep, she literally set up a committee to fight for and protect Elf rights. A girl after my own cruelty-free heart?! Key moments that make me love Hermione include her storming out of Divination, slapping Malfoy in the face & staying with Harry in the Deathly Hallows despite being heartbroken over Ron. In the words of Dumbledore, Hermione always chooses to do what is right over what is easy and I love her for it.

Avatar Korra.
Okay, so not only is Korra a bisexual woman of colour in a same-sex relationship she's also the frickin' Avatar?? I have to admit that I rly didn't like Korra at first but following the season three finale I loved her. She's cocky and over-confident and impulsive before then and it's inspiring to watch her patch herself back together during the course of season four. Her character development is staggering and she truly becomes a different person. I also admired how the show portrayed her recovery - it was rocky, littered with self-doubt and failure, plus spanned several years. It felt so real and I could relate to it so much. Tbh Legend of Korra saw me through some of the toughest times this year and I'm grateful for it.

Tessa Gray.
 Gawd, I love Tessa. She overcomes some truly difficult things during the entire Infernal Devices trilogy but by the end of it she's still standing. Her life is littered with loss and the overwhelming question of 'what am I?' but she holds her own, stays true to herself and doesn't let her identity slip. She fights for what she wants and isn't deterred because she's supposed to be 'a lady'. Like Hermione, she chooses to do what she feels is right compared to what is easy and she risks her life multiple times to help the Shadowhunters. She's also a mega bookworm & is in love with Will Herondale, just like I am (:

Daenerys Targaryen.
Daenerys is literally the biggest Boss Babe in fiction. Her entire life burns around her (literally) but instead of crumbling she crowns herself a Queen and builds her empire upon the ashes. She's fierce and strong-willed but she's also soft. I love that they don't shy away from her sexuality either. The Khaleesi can have a play thing if she wants one ~

Who are your favourite fictional women?
 


5 comments

  1. I'm still so gutted that S.P.E.W wasn't mentioned that much in the films! I love that Hermione did this: she totally showed that you had time to do all of your work and fight for what you believe in.

    Steph - www.nourishmeblog.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen or read any of these and sadly I find myself unfamiliar with all five -
    I had no idea how much I've been missing ;(
    I love strong female leads in movies and TV shows.
    Katniss Everdeen, Hermione Granger, Avatar Korra, Tessa Gray and Daenerys Targaryen all sound fascinating and inspiring - no wonder they're amongst your favourites!

    http://www.full-brief-panties.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hermione Granger is definitely my favourite fictional woman. I would want to be her BFF, if she were real, TBH! x www.aimeeraindropwrites.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katniss Everdeen and Hermione Granger are definitely two very inspirational women! :) xx

    Yasmina | The July Journal

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I definitely idolized Hermione growing up, to the point where I would study so much harder to be smart like her. Can't ask for a better role model! The more I got into the Hunger Games, the more I really loved Katniss too. I realized that I share a lot of traits with her, so I understand why she acts a certain way. Oh Tessa! She has to be one of my favorite Cassandra Clare characters. She's such a bad-ass and her love story with Will just gives me feels! Great post :)
    Steph x. Hello, Steph Blog

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Please feel free to leave your links - I'm always on the look out for new blogs to read xo