Superdrug Colour Rewind Review (With Before & After Photos)


 
Hey guys. Today I thought I'd do my first Cruelty Free beauty post of the year! Someone who took my survey (thank you!) said that they'd like to see more beauty posts here on my blog, so I thought I'd do just that.


I'm a complete nightmare when it comes to my hair. I'll probably go through 4/5 colours a year, and it eventually comes down to me having to completely strip my hair of all unnatural colour, just so I can start all over again. And this time, I decided to use a cruelty-free option, in the form of Superdrug's Hair Rewind Colour Stripping Kit. To give you a bit of background, I thought I'd run through a quick 'History of my Hair', so you'll be able to understand a bit better why my hair strips back to the colour that it does:

It basically all comes down to my dyes of choice: I'll have either been red, purple or navy blue, with a few chestnut browns here and there when I've been bored of colour. I've also had blonde, pink and purple highlights put into my fringe, plus been all-over black, too. But because of my re-dying the colours red and purple, I always have a red tinge to my hair, no matter what colour I dye it, and it always means that once my hair has been stripped back again, it will still have those reddish tones. I don't think I've ever managed to get back to my natural colour, but for someone who has been dying their hair constantly for the past six/seven years, I can't say I'm surprised.

So, on to the product. The kit comes in a cardboard box, with three bottles inside, labelled A, B and C. The first (A) is the colour stripping base, the bottle B contains the colour stripping agent which is mixed together with bottle A, and finally C, which contains a buffing conditioner of sorts, to use on your hair afterwards. The product is to be applied all over your head, and is to be left to develop for up to an hour. I left mine on for 30 minutes, because my hair is quite short and thin, and I didn't want to damage by hair due to over-developing it.

One part of this process that I think puts a lot of people off is the smell . It's bloody awful. My little sister described it as burning rubber, where-as my boyfriend and brother said it smelled like eggs. Personally, I think it's a pretty gross mix of the two. The smell lingered on my hair the day after I washed it off, but after a second wash/day, it's gone. I can't really complain about the smell, as a lot of other brands (like Colour B4) also smell as disgusting, if not worse.

My hair didn't feel any drier or at all damaged after using this product, which I'm very happy about. I've read a few reviews where people have disagreed, but I think leaving it on my hair for 30 minutes instead of the complete hour saved some damage. You could always treat your hair to an intensive recovery mask afterwards, or just smother it in conditioner and wrap your head with cling film for an hour.
But what truly impressed me was it's colour stripping power. My hair was previously dyed with the Schwarzkopf Cosmic Blue, which was a very intense blue-black shade. It is now a sort of red/ginger/brown shade, which I actually really like! I mentioned on Twitter that 2015 might now be my ginger year, as I don't think I'm going to dye over it. It stripped the colour very evenly, too. It didn't turn my hair back to it's natural shade, but then I didn't expect that anyway. I just wanted rid of the intensely dark colour I had, and it did exactly what I wanted.

The Superdrug Colour Rewind kit is available for £9.99 (currently on sale for £4.99!) at all Superdrug stores, or online here. It's 100% cruelty free, and is suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
 


9 comments

  1. That is pretty impressive! Your hair has gone such a lovely colour after stripping! I dyed my hair for years, but I always stayed blondish, and as my hair is naturally a darker blonde I got away with growing it out. Only took a couple of years... xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've always gone darker than my natural colour for some reason. I've never been lighter than dark brown. I'm going to try and go back to my natural colour through dyeing (again) though!

      Delete
  2. When I dyed my hair brown after being blonde for over a year I regretted it and used the extra strength one of these and the smell s HORRIFIC :') it lingered for days in the house, and when you think it'd finally have got you get another woof of rotten eggs again, haha! Great review though!

    P.s. I'm holding an Urban Decay Naked 2 Basics giveaway on my blog :)
    allthatshimmers.co.uk xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I was really lucky because the smell didn't linger at all in my house! I have read other reviews where they've had that problem, though!

      Delete
  3. I'm really glad you sent me the link to this review lovely, I've just ordered this product to try and get rid of the dark black dye that's lingering around the bottom of my hair with my natural brown roots coming through. I didn't realise I might have to recolour my hair afterwards though, I was hoping my natural brown colour might just return..
    Natasha x
    www.natashaparisblog.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay! I'm glad you found it helpful :) & no I've basically stripped it back, found a hair dye as close to my natural colour as possible & dyed it again, now I'm just going to let it grow out! x

      Delete
    2. I have read that after using this stripper hair gradually darkens did yours do this?

      Delete
    3. I have read that after using this stripper hair gradually darkens did yours do this?

      Delete
    4. I wouldn't say that it darkens exactly, more like it looses its bright/brassiness. I dyed over mine within about two weeks anyway so I couldn't say for sure, sorry!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! Please feel free to leave your links - I'm always on the look out for new blogs to read xo