The Diary Of A Young Girl by Anne Frank

Title: The Diary of a Young Girl
Author: Anne Frank
Genre: Autobiography, Non-Fiction
Length: 336 pages
Published: 1947
Series: Stand-alone piece
 
This isn't going to be so much a book review, more of a recording of my thoughts on this book. When I review books, I look at the characters and the writing and the flow, as well as how it made me feel overall. But with this book, I don't really think that there's much room to criticize/not to criticize the writing.


For those of you who don't know, The Diary of a Young Girl is a real diary, written by Anne Frank during the second world war. Anne was Jewish, and the threat to her family caused them to go into hiding. Along with another three-person family, and another single man, they stayed hidden for just over two years, before they were betrayed.
 
What I love about this book is literally Anne Frank herself. She was so honest and witty, and wasn't afraid to be her true self - to her diary, at least. Her 'character' development over the course of the diary was beautiful to read. At the beginning, she's just 13 and at the end, she's 15, and the difference in her thoughts and views is astounding. Starting at around the middle of the book, she begins to talk about her dreams and ambitions in life, about how she wants to become a journalist and maybe even publish a book one day. I enjoyed the diary a lot more from around the middle mark, just as I feel I understood her a lot better, and related to a few of the things she talked about. Her writing style also developed from around the middle of the book, and she became a lot more of a story teller.
 
The diary ends very suddenly, and after the final entry there is a little section at the back describing the fates of those who were in hiding. By this point, I was in tears. I'm not bullshitting because it's what I should have done, I honestly was so upset. I know it was a long time ago, but I really wish she would have lived.  
 
You can buy The Diary of a Young Girl on Play.com, and Amazon for around £3-£4.
 
Since reading this book, it's become a bit of an ambition for me to go and visit the Anne Frank Museum in Amsterdam. If anyone has ever been to Amsterdam and could give me some advice, I'd really appreciate it! If you have a blog post about your time, too, that would be amazingggg.

13 comments

  1. I always wanted to read this when I was learning about it at school, but never got into it. I will definitely try it now as I think its important to know what happened in History.
    xxx
    Lyndsey
    www.labeau.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to read it for so long before I got around to it, too. I think it's just a bit surreal reading a book about something that actually HAPPENED, you know? x

      Delete
  2. Hi Lauren, I've been meaning to get this since I did actually visit the museum in Amsterdam. I haven't any photos of inside the museum but I am sure you can find some online but I do have an Amsterdam post coming very soon on my blog. I'll keep you posted! :D

    www.simplysara.co.uk
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you so much! I'll definitely keep an eye out x

      Delete
  3. Lauren, I am so with you on this book. I read it over and over growing up. I got so attached to her characters, and the strained relationship between her and her mother always made me sad for some reason. The end part where the editor told us what came of the family after they were betrayed... I cried my eyes out. I think that everyone should read this book at some point in their life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt really sad about her relationship with her family, too, especially her mother and sister x

      Delete
  4. Great review, such a moving book for so many reasons. I love your blog and I have followed you with Bloglovin. If you ever get a chance to check out my blog I would be delighted, thanks!

    Camille xo

    www.cococami.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had this book sat on my bookshelf for so long, I really need to pick it up and read it. The story is so tragic but I really want to learn and understand more about what it was like for Anne.

    Bethan Likes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really urge you to read it! It's so worth it. x

      Delete
  6. This is one of those things that I've reread a hundred times and it doesn't get any easier.
    Love Hayley,
    Water Painted Dreams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. It was one of those books that I enjoyed, yet didn't really enjoy, know what I mean? x

      Delete
  7. Oh, I loved this book! I mean, I always feel a little horrible enjoying something like this, but I just thought it was so interesting. It can definitely be difficult to read though, and I'm sure I cried too when I first read it. I really want to visit the museum too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Please feel free to leave your links - I'm always on the look out for new blogs to read xo