My 2015 Reading Challenge

 
Over the course of 2014, I managed to read about 40 books. I'm not bothered at all about the amount that I read (I had several bad reading slumps over the year), but more about the fact that 80% of the books I read were re-reads. So for 2015, I thought I'd set myself a little reading challenge: to read one new book from a choice of 12 genres, almost all of which I've never read a book from before. And I thought: why not make a little info-graphic to go along with it? So if any of you guys want to join me in my challenge, feel free to save and share the image! But please credit me!



I kept the challenge and graphic quite vague and non-specific, purely so you could interpret the challenge whichever way you'd like. I'm aiming to read 52 books over the course of 2015, and each month I'm going to select a book from one of the genres to read as part of that 52. I tried to be diverse with my selection of genres, but I was also careful to choose ones that some of my TBR would qualify for. So, without further ado, here's a little complimentary list of my possible books to feature in this challenge!
 
Sci-Fi. I've had the book Cinder by Marissa Meyer for so long, and everyone has told me how amazing it is, and that I really need to read it. To be honest, I don't really have any other books that are technically sci-fi, but if you could recommend me any others beside Cinder then please do!
 
Historical Fiction. The Book Thief by Markus Zuzak and The White Queen by Philippa Gregory are both strong contenders for this genre. I own both of them and am halfway through The White Queen, but anything could happen! I think if I get desperate, I'll re-read Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare, but I really want to keep this challenge strictly TBR! I'd rather re-read than fail, though.
 
Dystopian. For this genre, I'd love to read the next two books in the Slated trilogy. I read the first one years ago, but am yet to even purchase the next two in the series. I wrote a review on Slated, which you can read here. I guess you could also consider the final book of The Selection trilogy as dystopian - I'd love to get my hands on that, too.
 
Contemporary. I have so many books that go with this genre. I'd love to read Anna & The French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins, as well as a few books by John Green which I'm yet to finish/read. I read a lot of contemporary over the course of 2014, and I really enjoyed it, so I'm looking forward to reading more from the genre this year.
 
Horror. Horror books are not my thing at all, but I borrowed Carrie by Stephen King from my dad so long ago and I still haven't read it. I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy it, but to be honest, I have a love/hate relationship with horror films and I kind of enjoy them, all the while hating watching them. We'll see how I get on with this one!
 
Classic. I own quite a few classic novels, but I haven't read any of them since reading Pride & Prejudice for my English Lit GCSE. I really want to read Romeo & Juliet by William Shakespeare, and I know it's a play, but I feel it still counts. I also have the Sherlock Holmes collection, which is technically a classic so it'll be nice to read a few of those, too.
 
Poetry. I've always been fascinated by poetry, but never really taken an interest in it until recently. I'd love to read a poetry collection, or maybe just a few poems here and there over the course of 2015. If you could recommend any to read, please do!
 
Fantasy. Ahh, my favourite genre had to make an appearance in this challenge. I think that Lord Of The Rings qualifies for this genre, but I'd also love to pick up a few more fantasy books because really, I don't actually own that many. Again, please recommend your favourites!
 
Short Story Collection. I own a few of these already, but they're all kind of vampire-related and I've owned them since I was a teenager. I personally love reading short stories, and they're also my favourite things to write. I'd love to own a few more collections, and, like the poetry, I'd love to read a few over the course of the year.
 
Non-Fiction. I have quite a few non-fiction books that I'd like to read, especially A Night To Remember by Walter Lord. Also I really want to finish The Diary Of A Young Girl by Anne Frank. There are a lot of popular non-fiction books going around at the moment, especially ones that are kind of autobiography/memoirs. I'd quite like to read Lea Michele's book Brunette Ambition, and also maybe a few books about anxiety and yoga.
 
So that's my 2015 reading challenge! Hopefully I'll be able to commit to it. I think it'll be fun to read outside of my usual genres for a change. Please let me know if any of you guys join in - I'd love to hear what you're reading for each of the genres. xx
 

20 comments

  1. This is SUCH a great idea!!! I read a lot but, like you, I re-read a lot of favourites, rather than mixing it up. Think I might have to try and incorporate something like this into my reading list this year :)

    If you're looking for more Historial Fiction recommendations: try 'Mistress of the Art of Death' by Ariana Franklin. Fab story about a female medieval pathologist. And for horror: try 'The Turn of the Screw' by Henry James. Old school but v creepy! :) xx

    Little Miss Katy | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, thank you! :) I'm such a nightmare with re-reading, and I decided it was about time I did something about it properly haha! Thank you for the recommendations! x

      Delete
  2. Loved reading this, there's some great genres here that I never really pick up myself, I think it's also good to widen our reading and read from different genres! For short stories I highly recommend 'Chicken Soup for the Woman's Soul' - it's so heartfelt, inspiring and will make you feel invincible after reading it. And for horror I'd recommend The Tulip Touch by Anne Fine, I'm rereading it atm and though it's labelled as a children's book it really shouldn't be. It's so dark, haunting and sinister and will make you think a lot. Anyway good luck with your reading challenge Lauren!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I like the sound of these recommendations! Thank you! x

      Delete
  3. Have you heard of "Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls"? It's this Short Story Collection book by David Sedaris, I read it and thought it was quite fascinating and hilarious. Maybe you can consider! I read the Diary of Anne Frank but also never got to finish it. Planning to finish it this year though. Good luck on this!

    Xoxoxo
    http://thoughtsintiffanyblue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooohh, that sounds interesting! Thank you! & I really need to finish Anne Frank's diary this year, I've been reading it on and off for so long now. x

      Delete
  4. Such a great idea! I may have to join you with this!

    Renee
    www.losetheroad.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd love it if you joined in :) x

      Delete
  5. Oh I absolutely love this idea! I too am guilty of rereads! I can highly recommend Anna and the French kiss, not my usual choice and I loved it!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really hope I get to read Anna & the French Kiss this year, I've wanted it for such a long time x

      Delete
  6. OH! Girl scifi is my STUFF. There are several scifi books I like. "Dune" by Frank Hebert is pretty much the ultimate sci-fi book, but it is a very difficult read (due to all of the alien terms) and it is a very hefty book. "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline is one of my absolute favorite books (it's also very nerdy as well). Oh! And "Ender's Game" is another very classic scifi book. It's probably the easiest out of all of these books to read, and the shortest. But is still an awesome book, for sure. One of the best scifi books of all time on many lists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, I think I've heard of 'Ender's Game' before. I'll definitely re-look into that one. I think I've also heard of 'Dune' before, too. Thank you for the recommendations! x

      Delete
  7. I too am taking part in reading more for 2015. I love reading your blog and so I have nominated you for the SIsterhood of World Bloggers Award. My post is here - http://www.tro-unicorns.uk/2014/12/sisterhood-of-world-bloggers-award.html

    Please do let me know when you have done yours :) Much love xx

    www.tro-unicorns.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a good idea! I think I hit most of them throughout a normal year. The ones I'd struggle with are classics, historical fiction and poetry. I can't remember the last time I actually read poetry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to struggle with the horror & classics the most. I think that last time I read poetry was for my GCSE's haha! x

      Delete
  9. This is such a good challenge! I don't read anywhere near as much as I used to, and I'm definitely guilty of re-reads. I love horrors though! Not sure if I'd get on with classics and poetry, but I guess you never know until you try :)

    India / Touchscreens & Beautyqueens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I'm such a guilty re-reader! I do it way too much, especially when I keep buying more books haha x

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a great idea. I love Cinder so I would definitely recommend that as your scifi choice. Also YES to Anna and the French Kiss. YES YES YES.
    Love Hayley,
    Water Painted Dreams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really hope I get around to reading both of them! x

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! Please feel free to leave your links - I'm always on the look out for new blogs to read xo