23 Books I Read In 2016

{ B l o g m a s :: day twenty-three }

2016 was a pretty mediocre reading year for me. I spoke a lot about the reasons why I'd fallen out of love with reading way back in my 2015 Goodreads Reading Challenge update last year and the points I listed have only magnified this year. I did read a few really good books, though, and although I haven't completed my reading challenge for 2016 I'm pretty happy with the amount I have read. And I mean, there's still a little time left in this year. Maybe I'll read two books between now and then!


23 Books I Read In 2016
1. The Heir by Kiera Cass. ★★★☆☆(read my full review here)
2. Happily Ever After by Kiera Cass.  ★★☆☆☆
3. The Selection by Kiera Cass. ★★★☆☆
4. The Elite by Kiera Cass. ★★★☆☆
5. The One by Kiera Cass. ★★★☆☆

6. Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison. ★★☆☆☆
7. Am I Normal Yet? by Holly Bourne. ★★★★☆
8. Asking For It by Louise O'Neill. ★★★★★ (read my full review here)
9. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by JK Rowling. ★★★★★
10. Beautiful Broken Things by Sara Bernard. ★★★★☆

11. Seed by Lisa Heathfield. ★★★★★(read my full review here)
12. Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella. ★☆☆☆☆ (read my full review here)
13. Life and Death by Stephenie Meyer. ★☆☆☆☆
14. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by JK Rowling. ★★★★★
15. The Crown by Kiera Cass. ★☆☆☆☆  (read my full review here)

16. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by JK Rowling. ★★★★★
17. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by JK Rowling & Jack Thorne. ★★☆☆☆
18. Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare. ★★★★★
19. Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare. ★★★★☆
20. Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare. ★★★★☆

21. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. ★★★★★
22. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell. ★★★★★
23. Harry Potter and the Prisoner and Azkaban. ★★★★☆

I'll be honest and say I read some pretty terrible books this year: Finding Audrey, The Crown and Life and Death to be specific. On the other end of the scale Seed by Lisa Heathfield was really wonderful and intense, but in a good way. I reread a lot, as I always do, and mainly stuck to a few key authors instead of branching out. I read a lot for comfort this year and because of this I just chose my favourites. Eleanor & Park was a book I reread for the second time and I loved it just as much this time around!

And some that I didn't...
1. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden.
2. Under Rose Tainted Skies by Louise Gornall.
3. How Not To Disappear by Clare Furniss.
4. New Moon by Stephenie Meyer.
5. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling.
6. Faceless by Alyssa Sheinmel.

I didn't complete these books mainly because I didn't enjoy them. I had such high expectations for Under Rose Tainted Skies but I really didn't like the writing style and I didn't feel it depicted agoraphobia in a way that I related to. How Not To Disappear was another book I ditched because of the writing style, and Faceless was because it was too dark and intense for me at the time. I might pick it up again soon but I doubt it, to be honest.

And just like that, day twenty-three of Blogmas has been completed. There's just two days left to go!
 


3 comments

  1. I really want to read Asking For It!
    You had a great reading year, but yes The Crown was so ugh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished Asking For It a few days before Christmas and it was amazing. Can't wait to see what Louise Oneil comes up with next. It took me absolutely ages to get into Memoirs of a Geisha so I can understand why you didn't finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this post and it's definitely inspired me to do mine, in the hope it'll motivate me for my 2016 reading challenge (because I WILL read more, or so I hope!) I've been disappointed by a lot of books this year too hun!

    Emmie | www.carpediememmie.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Please feel free to leave your links - I'm always on the look out for new blogs to read xo