Halloween Reads



I was going to name this post 'Halloween Reads That Aren't Scary' but the more I thought about it, the more I realised that the books I've chosen are quite scary in their own way. Okay, so they might not be as intense as a proper horror but there's clearly a reason why I've chosen them for this post.

Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling. I'm sorry but reading this as a kid freaked me out. There's the scene with Aragog and his giant spider buddies, there's the Basilisk and battle with Tom Riddle's diary AND there's Nearly Headless Nick's death-day party! It's not quite as dark as some of the later books in the series, but I feel like this one is a good one for Halloween!
 
Prom Nights From Hell by Various Authors. I've had this short story collection for absolutely ages and always tend to go back to it at this time of the year. It features five short stories from authors such as Meg Cabot, Lauren Myracle and Stephanie Meyer. Not all of them are particularly scary, but the one by Lauren Myracle  - 'The Corsage' -  totally messed me up.  
 
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon. This one could definitely count as 'Halloween Reads That Aren't Scary' as this book isn't really scary at all. It's more of a case of I read this on Halloween last year! It's about a boy called Christopher who discovers his neighbours dog has been killed and, all Sherlock Holmes-like, he decides to solve the mystery. It's a really brilliant read and different to anything I've read before.
 
We Were Liars by E Lockhart. We Were Liars is probably the biggest 'mystery' book of this bunch. It's about a girl called Cadence who is visiting her family island for the first time since her accident. A totally addictive read where nothing is as it seems! (For my full review you can click here)
 
Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill. This book isn't scary in the traditional way, like with ghosts and serial killers and witches. But it's incredibly dark and intense and I feel like this would be a hardcore book to read on Halloween. It's a dystopian, and in this alternate world women are no longer born, they're created, and their sole reason for living is to please men. I have a full review coming up within the next few days so keep an eye out!
 
So there you go - my Halloween book recommendations! Another one I think would be great to read for Halloween is The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer but I don't have a physical copy of it!

Instagram | Twitter | Bloglovin | Pinterest | Goodreads
 


1 comment

  1. I agree with you, chamber of secrets is definitely the most halloweny out of them all, would loved to of seen and read more Halloween in the others too x :)

    http://thriftyvintagefashion.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Please feel free to leave your links - I'm always on the look out for new blogs to read xo