Easy Vegan Flapjacks

A few weeks ago I shared a photo of these flapjacks on Instagram and a few people said they'd like the recipe so here we are!


I adapted it from this recipe on BBC Good Food, by swapping out the dairy butter for dairy-free and reducing the amount of sugar used after reading the comments. This is my second vegan batch and, again, they didn't last more than 24 hours at my house! My mum goes especially mad for them. Unlike regular 'shop bought' flapjacks these are more crumbly than soft but I prefer them that way - they're rather nice crumbled over yoghurt or Swedish Glaze ice cream, too!
Ingredients (makes 12 squares) ::
250g oats.
125g vegan butter.
3 tbsp golden syrup.
80g brown sugar.

Method ::
1. Preheat your oven to 180oc. Prepare a small rectangle baking tray with baking paper.

2. Melt the butter, sugar and syrup together in a bowl. I used my microwave and it took 1.5 minutes but the exact time will depend on the power of your microwave (mine is fairly weak haha). Try it in 30 second bursts if you'd prefer so the butter doesn't end up burning.

3. Pour the melted mixture over your oats and stir together. Make sure the oats are all covered evenly.

4. Tip the oaty mix into your tray and spread it all out with a spatula/knife/your clean hands. Try and make it as even and flat as possible.

5. Bake for 18-20 minutes.

6. Leave to cool slightly before slicing into 12 squares. I'm particularly bad at this and they all end up different sizes but I manage to get 12 of them each time so I must be doing something right. Allow the flapjacks to cool almost completely before removing them from the pan and onto a baking tray.
Aaand you're done! You can choose to follow this recipe completely and end up with delicious, crumbly, sweet flapjacks or you could go crayzee and chuck in some raisins or currants or chocolate chips if you'd like. I'm not sure how they'll effect the consistency/bake because I haven't tried it (I detest dried fruit with my entire being) but if you do - let me know and I'll add your experience to this recipe (with credit of course)!

1 comment

  1. These look so so good and easy to find ingredients as well. I can imagine that some veggie marshmallows melted into the middle of these could be good.

    www.hellosaralou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Please feel free to leave your links - I'm always on the look out for new blogs to read xo