Top 5 Book Covers

I'll be the first person to hold their hand up and say: I judge books by their cover. I know, it's terrible, but I can't really help it. When you're in the book store with only a few minutes to scan the hundreds of books on offer, the only way to choose what to study further is to pick the one that aesthetically attracts you. And there are some awful book covers out there. I can't help but feel that if you've gone through the effort to create a perfect book, why would you cloak it in anything besides a perfect cover? So today I thought I'd share my favourite book covers with you!

Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
Isn't this cover beautiful? I actually already own the full collection, but when I saw this gorgeous hardback edition in a charity shop I couldn't leave it behind. I actually use it as a decorative piece, which you can see in all its glory in this blog post.
 
Memoirs Of A Geisha by Arthur Golden.
This cover is very simple, but I think it's lovely. This is actually one of my favourite books (although I don't know how historically accurate it is) and is a good example of beautiful-book-beautiful-cover. I'd totally have this framed on my wall!
 
The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien.
I love this cover so much. I think it really captures the essence of the book and displays the themes and story line well without being obvious. It actually looks a little like a movie cover, but it's not! I just love everything about it.
 
Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone by JK Rowling. 
This is the very first Harry Potter cover I owned and I actually purchased the rest of the series in the same theme because I wanted them to match! It's just such a classic cover and reminds me of when I was 8 years old and reading the books for the first time. They have recently brought out new covers which are also gorgeous, but you can't beat the original.
 
Wonder by RJ Palacio.
This cover is so lovely and abstract. It really captures the themes of the book well, and I like how it's design doesn't give much away regarding Auggie's face. The writing is also really pretty and placed nicely.
 
What are your favourite book covers?
 


11 comments

  1. This is such a unique idea for a blog post! I also love the Harry Potter cover and all the nostalgic memories that come flooding back with it!

    Efia @ Effy Talks Life / Bloglovin' xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! & I know, I can honestly remember the first time I read the Harry Potter books! Brings back so many memories xx

      Delete
  2. I can't help but be drawn to book covers too, that Sherlock Holmes is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a sucker for a pretty book cover! Thank you! x

      Delete
  3. Your photos are fabulous, the last book cover is my favourite!:D I need to read a lot more and this post definitely encouraged me x

    amyemarshment.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also judge books by their covers...oops. I can't help it, I'm attracted to pretty/cool things so when I book has a pretty or "cool" looking cover I immediately want to read it. These five covers are awesome, I love the Harry Potter cover the best :D

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too! I also think they look a lot nicer on my bookshelf! x

      Delete
  5. I've got the same habit of judging books by their covers! Totally adore your collection, especially Memoirs of Geisha & Sherlock Holmes!!

    Love your blog Lauren!
    http://rakhshanda-chamberofbeauty.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh that Sherlock cover is beautiful! I have all the collections in one big book and it's pretty ugly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it lovely! I have the full collection as well, and I agree, my cover for that isn't the nicest! x

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! Please feel free to leave your links - I'm always on the look out for new blogs to read xo