Let's Talk About The NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams


{  B l o g m a s :: day ten }

These days is make-up isn't matte then I'm not interested in it. Matte lipstick, matte nail varnish, matte bronzer, matte highlight... you name it, I love it. But one of the things I'd been craving the most was a matte red lip, especially for the festivities, so I placed a Boots order for two of the Nyx Soft Matte Lip Creams. I chose the shades Madrid and Copenhagen.


I swear everyone and their cat has tried one of these babies since their arrival to the UK a few months ago and Copenhagen seems to be one of the most popular shades. It appears a lot more brown-toned in the tube but upon the lips its more burgundy. Madrid is the redder of the two and I'd describe it as a 'true red'. It's pink-toned rather than orange-toned, though, so it's really wearable and contrasts nicely with my uber pale skin. It looks a funny colour in the tube but it's a lot prettier than it seems, I promise!
The first thing I noticed when I unscrewed the cap was how small the applicator is. It's not as plump and fluffy as I'd like, in fact it's quite hard and compact, and makes application a little messy and difficult. The lip cream itself is a dreeeeam, it's so soft and spreadable, but even that was a slight issue for me as it would glide across my lips so effortlessly that I kept losing control of it. I'm not sure if it's just my poor technique or if it's the fact that the shades are dark but it took me a while to apply it evenly and cleanly. After a few tries I got the hang of it and found it was a lot easier to apply if I used small, gentle movements. The wand also tends to push a lot of the product upwards which meant it bunched together around the outline of my lips and I had to tidy it up with a cotton bud. The lip cream also has a distinct scent to it, I'd describe it as 'marshmallow-y' which I think might put some people off. Once the cream dries the scent mellows but it is a little potent at first.
Both Copenhagen and Madrid are quite sheer upon first application but it's buildable. You definitely need to let it sit to dry a little between layers, though, or it will literally never dry. Once it is completely dry it is ridiculously comfortable to wear, I almost forget about it. It feels like I'm wearing something but it's soft and not heavy. I've eaten jacket potato and apple slices whilst wearing Copenhagen and it wore a little but the overall effect was very impressive. It's definitely a contender for Christmas Day!

Overall I really like these lip creams! I think they look great and feel great to wear but the application is so difficult. Once you get the hang of it they really are a dream though and I've added so many of the other shades onto my wish-list. I literally can't stop wearing Madrid, which surprises me because I've been after Copenhagen for-frickin-ever. If you see me on Snapchat wearing a red lip it's probably Madrid!

3 comments

  1. Both colours are so lovely. I've never actually tried any NYX products, and I keep meaning to have a look at them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Die Rooibos-Creme ist perfekt für meine tägliche Hautpflege, sie macht die Haut wunderbar weich.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hii
    Nice Blog
    Guys you can visit here to know more about
    Essential Oil Products

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Please feel free to leave your links - I'm always on the look out for new blogs to read xo