Meat Free Christmas Mains

 
BLOGMAS DAY SEVEN.

The question I've been asked most recently is "how are you going to have a Christmas dinner without meat?!". I've tried my best to be patient with these people as I know they're genuinely interested and aren't trying to be ignorant but the opinion that Christmas isn't Christmas without a giant slab of meat on your plate is getting old, really fast.  I've been planning on doing this post for a while because (I hope) it'll be helpful but right now it seems very necessary! So I've put together a little food-spiration post for vegetarians and meat-eaters alike, showcasing 6 meat-free Christmas mains.

Vegetable Tarts.
Vegan Mushroom, Chestnut & Cranberry tart. My first vegan option for this post! This tart is crammed full of mushrooms and chestnuts, as well as carrots and lots of garlic flavouring! This recipe also includes instructions & ingredients on how to make a complimenting redcurrant gravy.
 
Golden-glazed Carrot, Mushroom & Hazelnut tart. This recipe is only for one tart, which makes things easy if you're the only vegetarian at the table! Simply double the recipe if you want to make two, triple for three etc. I think this tart is one of the mains I'm most tempted by in this post - I love puff pastry and don't those carrots look delicious?!
The Classics.
Vegan Nut Roast. This recipe calls for ingredients that probably aren't already in your cupboards, such as pine nuts, tofu and chestnut puree so if you like the look of this one then be prepared to go for a food shop! This recipe is also gluten-free.
 
Spicy Whole Roasted Cauliflower. I absolutely adore roasted cauliflower, although I've never roasted a whole one before! The cauliflower is coated in lemon juice, salt, pepper and a bunch of spices before getting tucked into the oven to roast. The recipe calls for greek yoghurt but you could use a dairy-free alternative to make it vegan!
The Quorn Options.
Festive 'Chicken' Roll. I know a lot of people are opposed to eating Quorn but I can't get enough of it! Especially the 'chicken', which is what fills this tasty puff-pastry roll, along with mushrooms and chestnuts.
 
Toad in the Hole. Ah, isn't this a classic? This recipe gives ingredients and instructions on how to make it from scratch using Quorn sausages, but I also know that Quorn offer a ready-made option. I've had it and can confirm that it's really nice!
 
What do you think of these meat-free Christmas dinner options? I can't decide whether I'm going to go for a nut roast or to just keep it simple and have a Quorn 'chicken joint' like I did last year. If you're a vegetarian/vegan - what are you having?
 

3 comments

  1. These look delicious. My mum always makes me something delicious and vegetarian. My favourite part of Christmas dinner has always been the vegetables and yorkshire puddings with lashings of gravy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first vegetarian Christmas, and honestly I'm just looking forward to piling my plate with roasties, mash and tons of veg! I'm not a fan of nut roast, but the carrot, mushroom & hazelnut tart looks delicious! I may give that a try...

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many vegan/veggie friendly options for Christmas Dinner that is just as, if not more, delicious than the traditional Turkey. Plus your saving the animals too!! I really want a Nut Roast this year though, it sounds delicious! :) xx

    Yasmina | The July Journal

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Please feel free to leave your links - I'm always on the look out for new blogs to read xo