End of code

Thursday, 6 October 2016

DIY Hanging Photo Display

 

I've wanted some kind of décor piece to hang above my bed for the longest time now but nerves stopped me - I was always worried that whatever shelf/photo frame/art piece that hung there would inadvertently fall down onto my head whilst I was sleeping and injure me gravely.  Because of this fear my options were pretty limited and I don't have the budget to invest in a headboard, so the wall remained blank and bare... until a few weeks ago when, with a quick Google search and a fresh batch of printed photos in my hand, I dreamed up the idea to DIY a hanging photo display. And guys - it was so quick, easy and budget-friendly that I just had to write a post about it.

You Will Need ::
 A branch or long twig. Please don't break one off of a tree - look for one that's already fallen.
 Rope or twine.
 Something to hang it from - I used a picture rail hook.
 ♥ Photos - I used Instagram photos that I printed off at Boots.
Scissors.
 A hole punch.
Method ::
1. Set up your hook of choice. Get your twine and tie the end of it around one end of your branch. Using this as a guide, measure (or guestimate) exactly how long you'll need it by holding the length of it to the other end with enough slack in between for it to hook and hang off of the rail hook. You may need to play around with this a bit as you take the branch to the wall to hang and back again to get it just right, or you could just use your noggin' and measure it with a ruler.
 
2. Once you've secured your twine at both ends of the branch and have put it up to hang, decide on the layout of your photos. You could either have them dangling at different lengths or you could have them in a perfect little line - personally I went with the varying lengths option just as I feel it adds a little somethin' somethin'. Once you've decided which photos you're using and where they're going to go, use the hole punch to punch holes through the top centre of the pictures.
3. Cut yourself a length of twine, fold it in half and shove the bend through the hole in the picture. Pull it out a little so there's a loop, then push the two ends through it so that it creates a little knot. Take your picture up to the branch and put one end of the twine behind it and the other in front, and tie a double knot so that your photo dangles from the branch.
 
4. Repeat step 3 until all of your photos have been used and you have yourself a snazzy little photo display!
I personally love the informal, rustic look of this display but you could always play around using different twine colours or replace the branch with something a little more sleek if you prefer a modern look. I'm considering painting the branch in black or maybe silver, but I haven't decided yet! Let me know if you think that would look better than just the raw wood.
____________________________________________________________________________
 
Fancy trying your hand at another super-simple DIY? Check out my tutorial for a Simple Autumn Candle Holder!
 


6 comments:

  1. This idea is really cute, I need something to go above my bed so this might be something I can do!

    Jess
    alrightblondie.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this DIY idea it looks so cute and the wood makes for perfect Autumn decor!

    Ella xx
    www.inellaselement.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty!!! The large twig gives it that perfect touch of nature and autumn.<3

    VEGETARIAN COURTESYFACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren, this is beautiful! Saw a similar project on Pinterest, and you did such a good job piecing it together, I don't think I'd ever have the patience haha. The result looks so pretty <3

    Joanne | Life in Blue Skies

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cute yet simple DIY. I think some fairy lights would look lovely above or around this display! ♥

    mooeyandfriends.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute and seems easy enough to put together! I have the same fear about things falling on me 🙈

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Please feel free to leave your links - I'm always on the look out for new blogs to read xo

HEADER DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS