End of code

Tuesday, 12 July 2016

Quick Eats: Free-From Snacks On The Go


I've been a gluten- and dairy-free vegetarian for almost a month now and I feel like the transition is going pretty well. I'm still figuring out portion sizes and meal timings and alternative sources for all of the nutrients that I need but I'm steadily making progress. One of the first things I worked out, though, was how I was going to be able to survive going out without carrying a stash of snacks with me at all times. Regular going-out-being-outside anxieties aside, I began to get extra-nervous because what if I got hungry whilst out and couldn't find anything I was able to eat? I imagine that vegans feel the same way a lot of the time because most places really don't cater to special diets - I can remember the struggle when I was merely vegetarian! So today - in an attempt to revive my Quick Eats series which died a pretty mediocre death after just one post - I thought I'd share some ideas for quick free-from snacks you can grab on the go from most supermarkets or corner shops.


Fresh fruit & veg.
Where to buy: supermarkets including Tesco, Asda, Aldi and Sainsburys. Express supermarkets. Some corner shops. Some petrol stations (although they're usually Tesco Express).
How much: Anywhere between 10p and £3.
Suitable for vegans? Yes.
 
Every single supermarket you can think of will sell loose fruit and veg. Of course some things will be pretty inconvenient to eat on the go, such as watermelons and cauliflower, but other things such as apples, bananas, carrots and oranges are perfect.  This is a super cheap way to do it as they charge per lb and if you're only grabbing one apple then it's going to cost you waaaay less than you'd expect. Aside from the loose fruit and veg, most supermarkets also sell little snack boxes of prepared fruit which are roughly £2-£3 each. I tend to avoid these, mostly because of the price, but also because they're generally fruit medleys and I don't always like everything in there. Alternatively you could do what I do and buy the little snack bags. They generally cost around 50p or are on offer for 5 for £1.50 or something similar. I like these little bags as they're really convenient and quick to eat. I personally always go for the apple slices, watermelon slices and carrot sticks. Yum.
Health bars.
Where to buy? most supermarkets including Tesco, Asda and Sainsburys. Some express supermarkets.
How much? Roughly £1.
Suitable for vegans? Generally yes, but check the label.
 
There are a ton of different options for this category including Trek bars, Nakd bars, the Meridian nut butter bars, Eat Natural bars and 9 Bars to name a few. I'm personally not a fan of the Nakd or Meridian bars but I thought I'd include them just to make you aware of them! The Trek flapjacks are my favourite, especially the original oat protein flapjack. You'll generally find these bars lurking in the free-from section of stores although they sometimes have them near the tills or the lunch-on-the-go section.
 
Chocolate!
Where to buy? Supermarkets including Tesco, Asda and Sainsburys.
How much? Around 40p per bar.
Suitable for vegans? Yes. 
 
In all honesty the free-from chocolate I've tried from the supermarket hasn't been too great but I thought I'd add them in here just in case you weren't aware of them. I've found that if I'm in the mood for chocolate I'd rather grab an Alpro chocolate soy milk!
 
Crisps, nuts and popcorn.
Where to buy? Any supermarket or express supermarket. Most corner shops and petrol stations.
How much? Between 50p-£2.
Suitable for vegans? Generally yes, but always read the label.
 
Most crisps are gluten-free although don't neccesarily state it on the packaging due to the risk of cross-contamination. I'm lucky that my gluten intolerance isn't that extreme so I can still eat things that carry this risk as a little gluten won't hurt me but please be careful if your intolerance is severe. Most popcorn is proudly gluten-free, including Propercorn*. My favourite flavour is the Sweet & Salty* but they have so many others including the Sweet Coconut & Vanilla* one pictured above, although I realised after taking this photo that this particular flavour contains milk! Nuts are also safe although of course always check the packaging to make sure. A lot of petrol stations and corner shops such as Happy Shopper carry own-brand bags of roasted/salted/flavoured nuts which are nice to snack on too. I got this little snack-pack of almonds, pumpkin seeds and goji berries from Aldi for about 80p!
Children's snacks.
Where to buy? Any supermarket.
How much? Anywhere between 50p and £3.
Suitable for vegans? Generally yes, but always check the label.
 
My best kept snacking secret: head to the children's section! The children's 'lunch box snacks' section in particular. Most children's snacks are gluten-free and suitable for vegans as they're usually different variations of pure-fruit gummies and dried fruit such. I particularly like the Whitworths Froot gummies, although a lot of people rave about the Bear Fruit Yo-Yos as well. I also found this mini bag of soft apricots in the children's lunchbox section for just 50p. Sometimes these kinds of snacks are kept near the till so be sure to check there!
 
Drinks.
Where to buy? Any supermarket and express supermarket. Most petrol stations and corner shops.
How much? Generally around £1.
Suitable for vegans? Yes.
 
Of course the obvious choice here is water (Smart Water or Buxton are my particular favourites) but I thought I'd list a few other options in case you were in the mood for something a bit sweeter. Most supermarket own-brand smoothies are vegan and are super yummy. I especially like the Tesco strawberry and banana smoothie! Of course Innocent are always renowned for their super smoothies but I find them to be a bit pricier. Fruit juice is also an option and is a lot more easily sourced than a nice smoothie. Alternatively you could head to the free-from section and pick up a pack of three Alpro chocolate/strawberry/vanilla soy milks!

I hope that this post is helpful! I'm certainly going to be referencing it if I'm ever out an in a panic because I can't find anything to eat. I am fully intending on reviving the Quick Eats series properly, especially now that my diet is a lot more awkward because I'm hoping it'll help some other people in a similar situation. But it's difficult! I'm hoping that by Christmas I'll have this new diet all sorted out and food can go back to being just a small part of my day instead of haunting my every thought. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. I loved this post! I absolutely adore dried apricots and I had no idea you could buy them in handy little bags like this. I'll definitely be checking out the children's food section from now on haha. I really enjoy the TREK bars as well. My boyfriend is allergic to nuts and so I just have to avoid the NAKD and Meridian bars, ugh

    Steph - www.nourishmeblog.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't find myself needing to snack that often but if I do I always try and reach for a health bar instead of a biscuit!! Great post Lauren xx


    Thrifty vintage fashion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Children's snacks are my hidden secret to snacking too! I love the Go Bear range. I haven't tried a TREK bar yet but heard so many good things about them! :) xx

    Yasmina | The July Journal

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many good ideas! I love Propercorn and Alpro Chocolate Soy Milk... Love them. Heading to the children's section is a really nifty trick haha!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Please feel free to leave your links - I'm always on the look out for new blogs to read xo

HEADER DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS