Quick Eats: Parsons Bakery Vegetarian Sausage Roll


Hihi! Welcome to Quick Eats: new feature on What Lauren Did Today! I'm hoping that it'll be a long-running feature purely because 1. it'll be (hopefully) helpful to some people and 2. it gives me an excuse to eat a lot of things. My plan is to hunt down, try and then review vegetarian (and hopefully vegan) lunch options from all different places - including supermarkets, bakeries and fast food restaurants. I think one of the most intimidating things about going vegetarian is not knowing what to eat when you're out and about as the options are pretty limited so with this series I'm going to do all of the hard work for you! I'm also setting a budget limit, meaning that no full meal will cost more than £5. SO let's get started!

What: Vegetarian Sausage Roll.
Where from: Parsons Bakery.
How much: £1.30 or £1.95 for two.
Suitable for vegans? No.
 
Fun fact: the first time that Luke bought me one of these, I genuinely had to make him triple check to make sure they hadn't given me a meat one. The taste and texture are so incredibly similar to 'proper' sausages rolls! If you're a vegetarian that misses the taste of meat then this one is definitely for you. I personally don't miss the taste of meat at all but I also don't mind if something I'm eating has a 'meat flavour'. The pastry is crisp and flaky and the filling is soft yet textured. It is quite peppery which is something to bear in mind, but it isn't overwhelmingly onion-y which a lot of vegetarian options (annoyingly) are! I almost always eat these when they're still hot but I can vouch and say they're delicious cold too, although they're not as crispy and they do go a tad squishy.
 
Admittedly they're not as filling as a full-on lunch would be, but they're so budget-friendly and perfect if you need to grab something to eat quick. I usually get one of these and sometimes (if I'm feeling crazy) one of the gingerbread men which are £1.15. I've also noticed that they sell HELLA fast - I've been in more than once to get one only to discover they're sold out.
 
What do you think of this new series on What Lauren Did Today? I hope that you'll all like it and that all of the effort (and money) will be worth it. Let me know if there's anywhere you'd like me to 'source' a lunch - next time I think I want to try the Tesco vegan wrap or maybe the McDonalds vegetarian burger. We shall seeeeeee.
 

13 comments

  1. That sounds pretty good! Any of the vegetarian meat i've tried I actually didn't mind at all!

    Renee | Lose The Road

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! The only thing I don't really like is the 'beef' or 'pork' style stuff but I think that's probably because I didn't like beef or pork when I ate meat anyway!

      Delete
  2. Veggie sausage rolls?! YES PLEASE. This place sounds so great!
    britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like such a good series Lauren, can't wait to read more! That veggie sausage roll sounds delicious too! :) xx

    Yasmina | The July Journal

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post idea! Will definitely be keeping an eye on these for vegan ones, that looks so delicious such ashame it isn't vegan but I don't have those bakeries around me anyway, I'll stick to Holland and Barrett hahaa

    Marbl☾☽Moon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah unfortunately I think Parsons Bakery is just a thing in the South :( x

      Delete
  5. It's cool to see you do a post on a specific type of food like this! I've never heard of a vegetarian sausage roll before but this sounds tasty. Xx

    Life in Blue Skies | A Fashion and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually tried my first vegetarian sausage roll from a bakery on Thursday, and it was so weird. Didn't taste meaty, but felt exactly like a normal sausage roll. Not sure I really liked it haha. Sausage rolls are the one thing I really miss though, and there's just rarely any vegetarian ones whilst out and about! Definitely be interesting to see what else you find. I really like the burger king bean wrap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've also found that vegetarian sausages can taste a bit weird in little cafes and such! Maybe it's just a sausage thing haha. OOhh thank you for the recommendation! This will give Luke a valid excuse for us to go to Burger King ;) xx

      Delete
  7. I just had to Google 'Parsons vegetarian sausage roll' I my husband (not veggie) said it must be a meat one by mistake! Thankfully found your review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Please feel free to leave your links - I'm always on the look out for new blogs to read xo