The Bunny Friendly Beauty Tag


I've seen this tag making the rounds on all of my favourite cruelty-free beauty blogs recently, and thought it was so interesting. I was determined to write my own answers to the questions anyway, but then the lovely Yasmina over at The July Journal tagged me so I decided to write it up today!


How long have you been on your cruelty free journey?
I have been cruelty-free since January of this year (2015)! I was first 'exposed' to animal testing when I watched Legally Blonde 2 back when I was a kid, but it wasn't until I read Hayley's post that my eyes were opened.

What made you decide to go cruelty free?
My Luna! I read Hayley's post and had been considering it for ages, but then as soon as I got my Luna everything changed. I have constant anxiety about her, worrying she'll be attacked or get stuck in a tree or go missing. And then I thought about all of the other animals who are getting hurt every day (even cats!) for the sake of a lipstick and I just couldn't contribute to it any longer. Not just that, but I feel really guilty that us as humans have decided that in order for us to have a nice new lipstick or eye shadow palette that we need to test on animals in order to get them. I just feel like it's really self-righteous and again, I didn't want to be a part of it.

 What has been the hardest product to find a cruelty-free dupe for?
Oh God, this question! I have found it so difficult to find cruelty-free dupes for a lot of things. I have really pale skin so finding a concealer/foundation that is not only cruelty-free and vegan, but pale enough for me and within my price range has been proving very difficult. I have also been struggling to find a deodorant, a good moisturiser and decent hair volumising products!
 
What’s the best cruelty-free dupe you’ve found?
I haven't really found any dupes for products yet (as explained above!) BUT after winning Caffrin.C's giveaway, I now have a pink nail varnish shade that is very similar to my favourite pink of all time, which was Revlon's Cupid.

 What product or brand do you wish was cruelty-free?

I'm going to agree with Yasmina here, and say Rimmel! I'm a drugstore girl at heart and my make-up collection was full of Rimmel lipsticks, mascaras and foundations before I started my cruelty-free life. Almost all of my favourite make-up was from them!

 

What’s your holy grail cruelty-free brand?
Lush! I've been a hardcore Lush fan since maybe 2012? Ever since 2013 I've only ever used their bath bombs and bubble bars for bathing, and their shampoo bars for washing my hair. I don't know what I would do if the Lush in my town closed! I would also have to say Superdrug - if it weren't for them, I honestly don't know how I could be cruelty-free and stay within my budget. They offer so many basics at such amazing prices that it's so incredibly easy!


 Name one cruelty-free brand someone might not have heard of?Hmm. I'm not sure on this one, as I haven't tried many small cruelty-free brands yet. So instead, I'll let you know a few of my favourite well-known brands that I didn't know were cruelty-free: Barry M, Makeup Revolution, Makeup Academy and Sleek. Not all of their products are vegan friendly, but a simple click through their website will let you know which are!
 
Are you a vegan? If so, for how long and have you had any struggles? If not, why not?
I'm not currently a vegan, partly because I'm scared of it! I don't want to give excuses, and I really hope none of you think that this is what I'm doing, but I would like to explain why. It's not that I don't care about the animals because I do, but just personally for me I feel like it would be too big a commitment at this time in my life. I've only been vegetarian a year, plus I became cruelty-free so I feel like I'm making all of these big decisions that I'm taking at my own pace. I have personal issues with food anyway, and whenever I begin to restrict something from my diet these problems get very big, very quickly. I just don't feel I'm in the position to become vegan at the moment.

 What’s your favourite local vegan friendly venue?I've never actually eaten at a vegan restaurant before! It's definitely something I'd love to try, though. I don't really have a favourite vegetarian place, either... although the vegetarian sausages from Wetherspoons are AMAZING.
 
You have 30 seconds to convert someone to a cruelty free lifestyle – what would you say to them?
Are you honestly willing for an animal to suffer just so you can have that new MAC lipstick? There are plenty of alternatives for any product you can think of, that cause absolutely no harm to any animals. You don't have to make a million changes all at once, or you can just go for it - either way, you can literally save lives by doing something as little as switching your mouthwash or eating the vegetarian option at a restaurant.
 
Thank you again to Yasmina for tagging me! I don't even know who hasn't done this yet within our little circle of cruelty-free bloggers, so I just tag anyone who hasn't!
 


5 comments

  1. This is a great Tag! I am not going all cruelty free straight away but as I need to look for new products I am going to try and pick the ones that are cruelty free. I wish Rimmel was though! :)

    http://thriftyvintagefashion.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's great! & aahh I know, Rimmel is one brand I really miss! x

      Delete
  2. Great post! I rarely use foundation so don't have any recommendations for that, but for deodorant I use Superdrug own brand, I use superdrug everything basically, their vitamin e range is amazing! Their moisturizer is good, so is the body shops aloe vera day cream, it's amazing, but more expensive that superdrug. I found toothpaste a struggle until I found out superdrug do their own toothpaste too!

    It's great that you have gone vegetarian! And if you are still working on that and the cruelty free, then just work on those first! It can be tough to change! I've recently gone vegan after being vegetarian since I was 11. Over the last year I phased out eggs, then swapped to soya milk, and now I check every product for milk powders etc, but I don't berate myself if I make a mistake. Good luck! xo

    amber love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this lovely comment! I think I need to quit putting so much pressure on myself and to just allow myself to change gradually (: x

      Delete

  3. Although they can be damaging hair, a perm is your answer if you want to sport a curly Kerave Hair Hair Style on a regular basis. If you consider how much heat manipulation you need to maintain your curls every day, a perm might be less damaging in the long run. Be sure to condition your hair well pre and post perm. Find a competent hair salon and get your perm done by a professional.

    Use No Frizz Straight Making from root to end with a comb before applying heat. Use No Frizz Wave Shaping Curl Defining from root to end and allow Hair Style Videos to air dry to define curls. Apply No Frizz Straight Making throughout the day to dry ends as needed for additional moisture see more at---- http://befitandhealthyadvice.co.uk/kerave-hair-reviews/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Please feel free to leave your links - I'm always on the look out for new blogs to read xo