End of code

Friday, 4 September 2015

No Spend September



I'm writing this post at quarter-to midnight after another unnecessary online shopping order. You can add this order onto the list of impulse purchases I've made recently and feel horrendously guilty for. I can't even think about the money I've spent without sending myself into a blind panic - although, to 90% of people, it probably isn't that much money at all. I'm usually VERY strict with my spending but recently I've been told to 'live a little' and that 'the amount of money you've saved wont matter once you're dead' and so yes, I was technically peer pressured into living my life and spending some of the money I've been hoarding for the past year.
But, despite now owning lots of lovely things that I'm enjoying A LOT, I feel very panicky all of the time. So, I'm inflicting a spending ban for the duration of September. My recent purchases have included new vegan make-up, some Autumn/Winter boots and two books I've been lusting after for ages - oh, plus the new Lush bath bombs and a shampoo bar... Okay. Calm down. My point is, I'm pretty much covered for anything I could possibly be needing right now. The only thing I need want is a new moisturiser as I'm not getting on that well with my current one, but it'll be fine for another few weeks.
 
The aim of this ban is to 1. calm the f-ck down and 2. save some money for Christmas. I've decided upon a few rules too, which I'll list:


The Rules.
1. I can spend money on food FROM THE SUPERMARKET and only food to use for meals. I cannot buy snack food or drinks (even if it's on offer). I cannot buy fast food. I can eat out at a restaurant but I can't order dessert.
 
2. I can buy Luna's favourite cat biscuits, but no treats/collars/cute cat accessories that she doesn't need.
 
3. Whenever I go into a store, I have to clear my purchases by my dad/mum/boyfriend before buying. I find this very helpful, because all they have to say is "do you actually need that?" or "where is that going to go?" and I instantly put things back because I really know that I don't need them and have no room for them.
 
4. I can start buying Christmas presents now but ONLY if there's a 100% chance they wont still be in store by October. I will also only limit myself to one gift per person for now. (I like to start buying presents early, sue me)
 
5. I can buy things if I really, truly need them. For example toothpaste, deodorant, sanitary towels etc. are things I feel are completely justifiable. I can also buy myself ONE new nose stud, as I don't currently have one, only two rings that don't quite fit.
 
6. I can buy tickets to events/the cinema. I don't want to miss out on experiences because of this spending ban, so providing I can't get tickets during October I'll be buying them when they become available.
 
Now imagine my signing an imaginary contract in front of you all. YOU ARE MY WITNESSES. I'm also going to keep a spending diary in my notebook and will report back weekly/fortnightly/at the end of the month to show you all how much money I've saved! I also feel like this ban will help my refrain from me plastering Autumn/Halloween/Christmas all over my bedroom as I can't buy any themed décor.
 
Have you ever put yourself on a spending ban? Do you have any tips for me so I don't go insane? Leave them in the comments!
 

10 comments:

  1. I really need to get on this too! I feel like I have been spending a lot of money unnecessarily recently and not utilising what I already own! I have a few big bills coming up too, so I really need to save! x

    Bethan Likes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yass, we can be each others 'sponsors' haha. I really want to dig into my wardrobe/make-up stash instead of buying new things. x

      Delete
  2. I put myself on a spending ban a few months ago and failed miserably, everything is more tempting when you're not supposed to be buying it! I've since downloaded a finance app so I can track and hopefully control my spending a bit more and it's worked so far. Good luck with your spending ban!

    Raise The Waves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've totally found this! Resisting bargains is my biggest downfall. Thank you! x

      Delete
  3. I recommend you make an ordit of whats in your cupboards etc. You could probably surive longer than you think without buying much :)


    http://thriftyvintagefashion.blogspot.co.uk




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! I feel like I should do this every time I go food shopping :) x

      Delete
  4. Completing a few spending ban challenges really developed my financial habits. They made me reflect on a lot of useless items I was purchasing and where my money went. The great feeling after the challenge is done is being able to see al the money saved, and how much you value your current stuff (especially if you shop for clothes a lot)!.

    Best of luck on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have been more appreciative of the important things that I already own/have bought this month since becoming more aware of my spending limits! x

      Delete
  5. Good luck! I haven't given myself a spending ban before as I very rarely spend money anyway. I'd love to keep a spending dairy to pin point exactly where my spending does happen. I'm sure you'll do fine and find that it's easier than you think, like you said just don't let it stop you socializing. =^-^=

    Sam | Momentarily Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd totally recommend doing a spending diary, it's so interesting to read back on at the end of every month. x

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! Please feel free to leave your links - I'm always on the look out for new blogs to read xo

HEADER DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS