Back To Basics

 


As some of you may know, What Lauren Did Today is actually my second blog. My other blog was a beauty blog, where I talked about a whole lot of things I didn't care about, sloppily promoted it and was, to be honest, very unlike my true self. So I packed that in after a year, decided to create What Lauren Did Today and completely fell in love. I love this blog. I love my readers and the wonderful community I've become a part of. I love that I talk about what I want, whether that's books, my cat Luna or some new vegan beauty products. I love that some of you are interested in me and my life.


But over the past couple of weeks I've hit a sort of brick wall and blogging became a bit of a chore. It got a lot worse when I started to schedule tweets for my blog, which is literally the frickin' bane of my existence. I dread turning on my laptop and blogging because I know that there are all of these boring, mundane things that come along with it. Also, as my audience has grown (something that I am still in awe about) I've become wary about the things I wanted to post. Thoughts like 'no one will care about that' and 'what if they're sick of me talking about this?' cross my head SO frequently and I'm always left feeling rejected and unhappy. I feel almost intimidated by the sheer number of people who read my blog that it's like I've been having stage fright! I read through loads of my blog posts from 2014 a few days ago and there were so many just to do with my life and what I was up to and I feel like that is what I need to start doing again. There aren't many posts that I've done recently that I feel are just about my life and I'd like to change that.
 
My social media is another thing that I'm feeling very unhappy about at the moment, particularly my Instagram. This is 99% fuelled by social-media-envy, which is a topic I'd like to talk about in more detail sometime soon. I like to have a themed Instagram, featuring lots of bright colours and pretty things instead of having a kind of 'life' Instagram, where I show a variety of different things. But after scrolling through a few of my favourite blogger's Insta's, I suddenly thought that I should make my feed look like theirs even though their photos (although beautiful & interesting) were just not the kind of photos I like to take. This has made me unnecessarily anxious and it's something that I've decided to stop NOW.
 
There was a time with this blog that I didn't have a posting schedule, a tweet schedule or a 'but think about the page views' attitude. I simply wanted to talk about the things I love, even if that meant penning a post at 3pm and pressing publish as soon as it was finished, instead of scheduling it for two weeks time.
 
I do have a few posts scheduled at the moment, but after they go live I've decided to go back to blogging the way I used to. I'm going to break free of my schedule for the entire month of August and to just appreciate and enjoy my blog. There are so many things that I want to talk about and express my love for and I feel like now is the time to do it. I might post every single day for a week, or I might only post twice a week. You never know - I might not even enjoy blogging like I used to anymore! I just want to give it a try and to give myself room to breathe.
 
I hope that you will all be happy with my plans for August. I have so many things that I want to talk to you about! xx
 

10 comments

  1. I love reading your posts Lauren, whether that's beauty, lifestyle or anything in between, so I'll be happy with any post you decide to put up. I'm sure most of your readers feel the same way, so do what feels right for you and we'll stick around ☺I hope you start to feel better about your blog and social media soon, because they're both fab!

    Kelly
    The Vegan Taff | cruelty-free beauty and lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much! That's so lovely to hear. xxxx

      Delete
  2. Good for you! You should always do what makes you happy! Trust me, the people who truly love to read your blog are people who are genuinely interested in hearing from YOU. It wouldn't matter what you chose to read about :)

    Renee | Lose The Road

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know, it's difficult to realise the difference between 'follower' and 'reader' but I'm looking forward to talking about lots of new things soon! xx

      Delete
  3. I have recently been feeling the same way about social media! It's awfully tiring. I'm trying not to stress out over it either, seeing other people's well laid out grids and hundreds of followers... And sometimes I feel like I shouldn't bother people with a mass amount of self-promotion in my tweets. And sometimes I have nothing to tweet about!


    Peace & Love // Celestralite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so tiring isn't it? And so unnecessary! I hope you feel better about it soon! x

      Delete
  4. I'm sure the posts you write will be awesome and I'll read them whenever they're posted or whatever they're about!
    Love Hayley,
    Water Painted Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that is such a good idea. With all the blogs around at the moment, we can get phased by some of the unnecessary things. Bloggers writing their blogs shouldn't be about the numbers, views or getting companies to notice their work - it should be about writing and talking about what you love. You done't need to fit in with a crowd and talk about products that you have no interest in. Just enjoy blogging for what you want and if that's the community then brilliant! :) xx

    www.thejulyjournal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think it's so easy to get caught up in the numbers game, especially when it seems like everyone else on Twitter are reaching milestones every day! xx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! Please feel free to leave your links - I'm always on the look out for new blogs to read xo