End of code

Thursday, 14 May 2015

Top 5 Books I Finished In A Day

Not all amazing books can be measured by how long it takes to read them (just look at Game of Thrones... I love it but I still haven't finished), but in some cases I think it says a lot. So today, I thought I'd share my top 5 books that I finished in a day. In fact... I think that I finished all of these books in one sitting (separately, obvs) and went without food, water and social activity in order to do so. Although the social activity part wasn't much of a sacrifice.

The Fault In Our Stars & Looking For Alaska by John Green
Let's get the obvious ones out of the way first, shall we? If you've been reading my blog for a while, you might have heard the legendary story regarding me and Looking For Alaska, but in case you haven't I'll give you a brief oversight: First time I read it, I barely made it half-way through. Second time I read it, I read it within a few hours and fell in love. With The Fault In Our Stars, the love was pretty immediate but still as powerful. I've said it before: I adore John Green's writing. Because it's contemporary I find it quite simple and not OTT, but it's still mesmerising and thought-provoking. I've read TFIOS several times since the first time, but I'm actually too scared to re-read Looking For Alaska in case it's not as perfect again!
Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson & Wonder by RJ Palacio.
Wintergirls was a book that I discovered, bought and read within a few hours. It's about eating disorders and recovery, and is so heartbreakingly beautiful. The writing is so poetic and lyrical, and can be found all over Tumblr and Pinterest. As I always do when I talk about this book, I have to issue a trigger warning as it's VERY intense and has some really graphic scenes. Please be wary. Wonder is a sweet little book, that I again bought and finished within the same day. It's about a young boy with severe facial disfigurement, who decides he wants to go to school for the first time. Because of the very young age of Augustus, I found this book a little more cutesy than maybe I would have if I was younger, but it carries a wonderful message.
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.
And finally, my true love. The Hunger Games is without a doubt one of my favourite books of all time. I bought THG, finished it that night then went straight back to the store and picked up the next two books in the trilogy. I finished those within a day each, too. The writing, the story and the characters just suck me in until I'm tired, hungry and completely emotionally drained.
 
So there you go - 5 books that I read in one day. Naturally The Perks of Being A Wallflower would be on this list, but considering I go on about it all the time I figured it was a given. I have quite a few other books that I have finished in one day, so maybe there will be a part two of this post soon!
 
What books have you finished within a day?
 

19 comments:

  1. I reaaaally want to read Wintergirls, it's been on my list for a while now! I think I finished The Hunger Games in a day too, I know that I read Mockingjay and Catching Fire in the same day... xx

    Charlotte / Colours & Carousels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wintergirls is amazing! Totally intense, but amazing. Even now I still re-read The Hunger Games in less than a day! x

      Delete
  2. These books are all on my to read list. I have the hunger games which I brought from a charity shop, but haven't got round to reading it yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, you must read it! It's my favourite book ever x

      Delete
  3. Oh, I'm so bad at reading books in one day. I can tell you that many a summer's day was spent reading...plane flights and the beach are perfect times to read. There's way too many for me to list, but here's a good, very memorable few: The Green Mile, Fahrenheit 451, Ready Player One, and Ender's Game.
    I also read The Hunger Games as well in one day!

    Peace and Love,
    Celestralite.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard a lot about all of the books you mentioned! I think I'll look into them. x

      Delete
  4. I remember reading Hunger Games pretty quickly too - not sure I made it in a day though! Loved Looking for Alaska, although with The fault in our stars I guessed the ending pretty early on and was annoyed that I'd spoiled it for myself haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't guess TFIOS ending at all! I'm not sure if it would have been less emotional for me to have guessed it though haha x

      Delete
  5. I get so very hooked into a good book that I do tend to devour them, especially on holiday when there's ALL THE TIME.
    I read the Hunger Games in a day I remember being utterly consumed! I think I managed some of the Harry Potters in a day but when I've got the time I do just chuck myself in there.
    Wintergirls is on my to read list and I've got a few days off next week, hurrah!
    M x Life Outside London

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoaaaa, I definitely could not finish a Harry Potter book in one day! Definitely recommend Wintergirls! x

      Delete
  6. I need to re read winter girls forgot I had it on my book shelf. I just love posts like this x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've re-read it a few times since I first read it, but haven't so far this year. I think I need to read it again soon :) thank you! x

      Delete
  7. Ah I've read ALL these books! John Green is everyone's favourite writer haha, you can't have Internet without having heard of him. He's amazing. And wintergirls reminds me sooooo much of sixth form. Was one of my favourite books because it's so well written and I read it a million times that year. So beautiful but tragic!!

    Xx lacoconoire.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Green is a very talented writer! I wouldn't say he's my favourite, but I do own nearly all of his books... x

      Delete
  8. It feels like ages since I last read a book! But I tend to get obsessed and read instead of doing uni work XD I'll definitely need to get back into it over the summer! I'll have to give these a try :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of these books are great if you're just getting back into reading as they're SO easy to read! x

      Delete
  9. The Fault in Our Stars was a beautiful book. I understand why you finished it in a day, because it's just so captivating. I am yet to read The Hunger Games, but I will pick it up after reading your comments on it.

    Much Love, Peachy x
    www.tro-unicorns.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Please feel free to leave your links - I'm always on the look out for new blogs to read xo

HEADER DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS