Top 5 Book Series I Won't Finish

I can't believe how long it's been since my last 'Top 5' post! So today I thought I'd revive the series by sharing my top 5 book series I won't be finishing. I read a quote a little while ago that said "life is too short to finish crappy books." and I think that it's so true. There's nothing worse than spending your time and money on a crappy book/series when you could be spending that time and money on a better book/series! That's been my kind of reading guideline this year, and although I wont be getting rid of any of the books mentioned today (hoarder problems) I will definitely not be purchasing the next books in the series.

The Maze Runner by James Dashner. If you've read my review of this book [here] then I'm sure that this is no surprise to you, but I will not be finishing The Maze Runner trilogy. I've heard that the story and writing deteriorates through-out the next two books, which is something I just can't handle, because I found the writing and story progression in this book to be, quite frankly, awful. I am actually interested in the prequel book  (The Kill Order) which explains a little bit more about the world and how the disease of books 2 and 3 came about, so I might pick up that one, but The Scorch Trials and The Death Cure will definitely not be joining my bookshelf.
 
The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. Back in November last year, I featured City of Ashes in my Top 5 Books I Haven't Finished post, and I still haven't finished it. I don't know what it is, because I absolutely adore Cassandra Clare's writing and The Infernal Devices is one of my all-time favourite book series. But The Mortal Instruments just isn't happening for me. There are a ton more books in the series (6 in total) and I just can't imagine myself ever finishing them. I'm actually kind of disappointed because I want to love the series so badly, but I just don't!
Matched by Ally Condie. I heard loads about this book back when I was in my dystopian phase (AKA when I read The Hunger Games over and over) but I didn't pick it up until very recently. I'm about 2/3 of the way through this book (which is the first in a trilogy) and I just don't have any urge to read it. The love triangle irritated me from the get-go, just because it's so immediate and unjustified, and the writing is average. I really like the idea of this world and the Matching process, but played out in this book I'm not a fan. The first few chapters were great, but as the love triangle came into play I lost interest.
 
Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl. I think that this is the first book I ever finished that I really, really didn't like. I know that that's really harsh, but I just didn't like anything about it at all. The writing was terrible and the characters were flat. The storyline held so much potential, but the way it was executed was really really bad. I've read reviews on the following books in the series, and people have a lot worse to say about them, so I will definitely not be buying or reading them.
Marked by P.C. and Kristin Cast. I read the first few books in this series back when I was in my vampire phase and I really enjoyed it. However, since leaving the teenage vampire years behind me, I re-read this book and really disliked it. The entire storyline of the book happens within about a week, in which time the heroine scores a group of friends, takes down the school's bitch and bags a boyfriend. It's just really rushed and unrealistic and it's almost like the authors are using their character to put out their views on the world. There are insults to Abercrombie, 'goth' and 'nerd' kids and Christians scattered through-out this book, which made me uncomfortable. I'm not saying that main characters can't have their opinions and dislikes, but when it's kind of aimed towards certain people and written in a horrible, sarcastic way... I don't like that.
 
So there you have it: 5 book series I won't be finishing. I hope that I haven't offended anyone by writing this post, especially if some of these books are your favourite series. Just personally for me, I didn't get on with them. There are dozens of other book series that I adore that I'm sure other people don't like. I think that's what's so interesting about reading: my favourite book could be your least favourite, and vice versa. If you really think I should reconsider any of these series, let me know in the comments!
 

17 comments

  1. Have to agree with the House of Night series. There are SO many books.
    Imogen’s Typewriter. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same as you when it comes to Matched and The Mortal Instruments Series.
    With Matched I got part way through the second book and just gave up, even though I love the idea behind the world it's set in, I just can't get into the rest of the series.
    With The Mortal Instruments I really liked the first book but I still can't get into the second book which I find really disappointing

    Carolyn x
    Carolyn’s Simple Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so disappointed that I didn't get on with The Mortal Instruments, I really want to enjoy it but I just don't :( x

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any of these books besides The House of Night series. I have seen the Beautiful Creatures movie and I found it quite dull as well!

    Renee | Lose The Road

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I've seen the movie too and I thought it was alright, definitely prefer it to the book though! x

      Delete
  4. I havent actually read any of these books mentioned in the post but i thought this was a brilliant post idea! I used to forced myself to continue reading books even if i didnt enjoy them and then it'd end up putting me off reading for a while so now if i can't get into it, i put it aside to try another time!

    Great post!
    Natalie xx
    youralmostalice.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was the same, I used to force read and it really made me fall out of love with reading! x

      Delete
  5. Hello :) When I watched The Maze Runner in the cinema, I was so hooked and I needed to know more about it. I then came across the book series and started reading the first one, which I found very deviant from the film. The film is action packed and thrilling, whereas the book is just slow and Thomas constantly whining. I've also read Scorch Trials and reviewed it on my blog, but same again. I wouldn't say the writing is awful, it is just very word heavy without actual content and the narrative is told in a monotonous way which really sucks out all the joy of reading. I've got City of Bones until the third book, but if you ask me I can't really remember what has happened in the second one :/

    Hope you're well and we'll speak soon xxx

    Caz | Lunch Break Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesssss! Someone who gets my feelings for The Maze Runner. I personally really loved the film, it was fast-paced and action packed. It seems especially amazing compared to the book! x

      Delete
  6. Hi Lauren

    I totally agree with the Maze Runner. I've read the first and the second one (hoping the second one would give me answers and wouldn't be as bad as the first on) and they're both incredible annoying. I mean: how many times can you write shuck, shank or something a like on one page?
    And the film isn't any better... I don't see where the fuss about this series is coming.

    Haven't read any of the other books as I'm not a big fan of YA. I only read the Maze Runner because my BF had bought the books and they were just lying there.

    I really liked this post, sometimes it's nice to see other people agree with you! :)

    x
    Joy
    Burnorbuythatbook.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I personally really liked The Maze Runner film, I think they did a pretty good job considering the base content! x

      Delete
  7. love this post! it's always good to be honest and there's plenty of books i haven't finished!

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read a lot of the House of Night series when I was in highschool, but there were just so many I ended up losing track! Just discovered from my Goodreads actually that I read up to 7... xD I also read Matched, but didn't read the others. I think I read it before the second had come out though, and when Crossed came out I just wasn't interested enough.

    Loved the Mortal Instruments series though. It's being made into a TV series and I'm excited for that! The Infernal Devices was sooo much better, but I just loved the worlds so that kept me reading.

    And I've just started The Maze Runner... Only 6 chapters or so into it, and I can't say I'm loving it, but I don't know anything so I am wanting to read on at this point in time xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm SO excited for TMI tv series too! I'm hoping they'll do it justice, since the film was a bit of a flop. Let me know how you get on with The Maze Runner! A few other bloggers I love really liked it, but I just wasn't into it! x

      Delete
  9. Oh the Mortal Instruments. I tried reading the first one about two/three years ago and didn't finish it. I got back to the series after awhile and I'm on the third book now. I love them, but even I'm going to admit that it has it's dull moments. City of Ashes was a miss for me, almost entirely, but City of Glass (I'm up to part two) has finally got the stakes raised.

    On the Maze Runner - I liked the first book. I was more of a movie fan, but the second one. Oh my Lord, I couldn't finish it. I still haven't and don't have any intention to finish it. The third one (after hearing what happens to a certain character) I refused to even start it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Please feel free to leave your links - I'm always on the look out for new blogs to read xo