The Perks Of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

 
Title: The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Author: Stephen Chbosky
Genre: YA/Coming of Age
Length: 213 pages
Published: February 1999

This book makes me "both happy and sad and I'm still trying to work out how that could be."
 
Set back in 1991, we follow Charlie's life as he goes through his first year of high school. Now that in itself sounds like it is going to be a massive clich√©, but it totally isn't. The format is set out as if we were reading letters that Charlie sent to someone, a person to which he remained anonymous. This makes the book very easy to read, as there aren't any uncommonly used words and it really is as if we're reading his thoughts as he puts them on the paper.

But most importantly, Charlie is a wallflower. He panics, he cries, he has thoughts and feelings that scare him sometimes. He's always on the outside of life, looking in at everyone else. He notices things and he thinks about everything all of the time. He's a genuine, innocent, beautiful person. As the story progresses, we learn things about Charlie and we experience the random things that happen to him: some that will make you laugh and some that will make you cry.
 
It all starts when he meets his first two new friends (since his last friend killed himself, something that's revealed on the second page of the book), Sam and Patrick at a football game. They're 'unpopular' and different, similar to Charlie but also in a completely different way. I hope that makes sense to you. Soon they become good friends and they take Charlie on a whirlwind of parties, laughter and generally just feeling alive. That's pretty much what this book is about: the honest, dirty, hurtful, sad truth about being a teenager.
 
If you have ever been on Pinterest and searched 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' you will become bombarded with beautiful, relatable quotes. The book is full of them. There are quotes in this book that honestly give you a whole new perspective on so many situations, and pretty much just life in general. You don't have to be going through the things Charlie is to understand them - they're relatable on so many levels that I'm sure everyone would perceive them in a different way.
 
I can honestly say, without even being dramatic, that I cried my eyes out when I read the ending of this book. And I also cried during the same scene during the film, which I went out and bought the second I finished reading the book (which took me less than a day, it's completely un-put-downable). There's some things that happen to Charlie that honestly make my heart hurt, because the way that the book is written makes me feel like I know him and I was so upset when I read what happened to him.  
 
This is the type of book that honestly changes you. I've read it multiple times since the first time I read it (which was at the beginning of this year) and it quickly became my favourite book of all time. It's given me a fresh perspective on a lot of things, and I adore it. If I could just go around the whole planet and give everyone a copy of this book and to make them read it and love it as much as I did, I totally would!
_______________________________________________

If you liked The Perks of Being A Wallflower, I'd recommend Am I Normal Yet? by Holly Bourne and Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson.
 

2 comments

  1. Wow I love this review and this book in general, I agree that the book has so many wonderful and memorable quotes. They can easily be manipulated into art or even poetry.

    I have got my own bookish blog if you would like to follow back?

    www.theescapewithemily.blogspot.com

    Also I am following you on Twitter? It's @perfictionlife

    I am new to this book club scene haha and just want to make some new friends (:

    Keep up your wonderful posts xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awh thank you for this lovely comment! I'd love to check out your blog:) x

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! Please feel free to leave your links - I'm always on the look out for new blogs to read xo